Standard Freelance Editorial Agreement
This agreement is between Cichy Learning (“Editor”) and _____ (“Client”) and concerns the following manuscript:
Working title: _____
Length and description of manuscript: _____
1. EDITORIAL TASKS
The Editor agrees to do the following on the manuscript:
- Developmental Editing: _____
- Substantive Editing: _____
- Copyediting: _____
- Proofreading: _____
- Other (Specify): _____
(Many editorial and production stages have the potential to require follow-up in the form of (1) editing and incorporating Author’s responses and (2) checking corrections after they have been input. This agreement does not include responsibility for such follow-up unless specified (e.g., “copy editing, including incorporating author’s responses to queries and checking the input thereof”. Terms are defined at www.cichylearning.com, unless otherwise specified.)
- The manuscript is to be delivered to the Editor by the Client on or before _____ (date) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org as a Word (.docx) file.
- The projected schedule for completion of the Editor’s work (specify number of iterations, if applicable) is as follows: _____
- The agreed-upon editorial fee of _____, based on a flat fee or an hourly rate $60 per hour), is to be paid by the Client to the Editor.
- The Client will reimburse the Editor for direct expenses incurred in fulfilling this agreement, although no extra expenses are anticipated.
- A deposit of 30% of the quoted or estimated fee, $ is due before the work will be scheduled.
- An invoice will be sent upon completion with the completed manuscript. Payment is due 15 days from the invoice date. Past due amounts may be subject to interest at a rate of 1.5% per month. Payment is to be made via PayPal via a link at www.cichylearning.com or via check mailed to Cichy Learning, 10942 SW Celeste Lane Apt 402, Portland, OR 97225.
This agreement may be terminated by either party in the event of material change of circumstance, with 3 days’ notice sent in writing to the other party via his or her respective email address. If the Editor terminates the agreement, the Editor will be paid by the Client for work done up to the date of termination. If the Client terminates the agreement, the Editor will be paid by the Client for the work done until termination or forfeit the deposit, whichever amount is greater.
5. SPECIAL CLAUSES
- No editorial line is required.
- Other: _____
Editing is intrinsically a process of offering advice and suggestions to the Author and Client. In addition to offering such advice and suggestions, the Editor’s responsibility is limited to notifying the Client of any unresolved differences with the Author before the work proceeds to the next stage of production. While the Editor will make every effort to bring questionable material to the attention of the Client, the Client agrees to indemnify and save harmless the Editor from any and all claims or demands, including legal fees, arising out of any alleged libel or copyright infringement committed by the Author or Client in creating the work.
7. APPLICABLE LAWS
The terms of this agreement shall be interpreted according to the laws of the United States of America and the state of Oregon.
This contract may be changed only by written agreement between the Editor and the Client.
Signed by the parties to this agreement on _____ (date)
Editor’s printed name: Bryan E. Cichy__________
Email Address: email@example.com
Client’s printed name: ______________________
Email Address: ____________________________